Unknown Viral infection in dogs.
We feel that we should be able to tell our owners that there are problems out there and we were told of a dog virus in February of 2020 when a new owner said she would not be taken her two new pups walking where they could meet other dogs until the dog virus she knew of was able to be cured by medicines. We were told that the University of Liverpool were taking samples of dogs that died of this to try and identify the cause.
A few weeks later we saw it closer to home with one of our owners corgis getting the virus and more recently a delivery man from Swansea saying his dog had been really unwell and having vet treatment and he came down to the kitchen one morning and his dog lay in a pool of its own blood.
We also had a message asking for help from one of Martins owners in London having a similar problem. I sent an email back saying the following :-
OK. Your vet should know that there is a dog related virus in the country and has been here since 2018. I have written to the Chair of the KC and our MP re the matter. Our vets in Pembrokeshire have not seen it which is good but we haven’t taken any of our dogs out in a mix since March. I have not seen anything related from the KC or warnings.
Found this on Google
Type in Virus in dogs UK this is just one https://www.borrowmydoggy.com/doggypedia/veterinary-dog-advice/dog-virus
Further research found many articles on the subject – here’s just one From a UK Newspaper on line
UK dog virus WARNING:
Vomiting bug increases – vets reveal SYMPTOMS to look out for
DOG owners are being warned of the terrifying signs of a mystery virus sweeping across the Midlands that balloons the intestines of pooches while triggering extreme vomiting and blood in their diarrhoea.
A stomach infection that swept across Birmingham and Gloucestershire has also hit Derbyshire leaving has vets baffled. They do not know what the illness is, or how to cure it. They have however, warned of the symptoms in an attempt to help dog owners stop their beloved dogs from succumbing to the nasty disease. Tracey Sandland, the practice manager at Scarsdale Veterinary Centre, said: “If the pet is vomiting blood or looks otherwise ill, or is elderly, weak, a young puppy, or the vomiting has persisted for more than 24 hours, or if the owner is worried then they should always see a vet. Call for advice if in doubt.
If the pet is passing blood in their stools, looks unwell, is elderly, weak, a very young puppy or is not vaccinated then they should always see a vet. If the pet is bright and well, and there is no cause for concern, then the standard advice would be – starve them for 24 hours, either offer small amounts water or electrolyte solution and if no further vomiting then introduce a highly digestible bland food and feed little and often for three to five days then gradually wean on to the normal diet.
If this does not work or the pet is becoming dehydrated then an appointment should be made to see a vet. Feeding the right diet is crucial for the improvement of digestive tract disorders. Everyone who comes into contact with your pet should realise the importance of feeding only the recommended diet, this means avoiding any treats or snacks.”
She added: “It is also important that your pet be prevented from scavenging food from the rubbish or from outside. If in doubt, always ring your vet for advice and they can assess if they need to see your pet.”
Derbyshire is the latest region to have seen cases of dogs with the virus that swells the intestine and stomach lining.
Gloucestershire vet John Rosie said he has never witnessed the bacterial infection since he began his career in 2004.
He said: “We see a lot of people in their own home but there has been a higher number of cases although we don’t have the exact diagnosis of what the cause is yet.
“The dogs seem to be responding to the treatment we are giving them. We mainly cover Belper but this is just a snapshot is what is going on in the wider area.”
He also issued advice for dog owners to stop them catching the illness.
He said: “They should wash and disinfect their dog’s paws after going out walking in case they pick up anything on their feet.”
Mystery dog illness that has killed dozens of pets in Norway could be linked to mushrooms, investigators say